The Calvin Dawson Memorial Scholarship, named in honor of founder and first executive director of the HFGF, has been assisting those in the bleeding disorders community reach their higher education objectives for the past 20 years. Since the scholarship’s inception, HFGF has granted more than $150,000 to worthy recipients.
“We are delighted to honor these 20 men and women who have aspirations to be the best they can be,” says HFGF Executive Director Fran Haynes. “Ninety-one percent of all HFGF fundraising dollars go back to our bleeding disorders community, including our provision for annual scholarships of which we are quite proud.”
HFGF scholarships are earmarked for Floridians with hemophilia, von Willebrand disease and other related hereditary bleeding disorders. Scholarships are attainable for high school graduates pursuing post-secondary education at a college, technical or trade school, or through other certification programs. Awards are based on merit, need, community service, and aspirations of the applicant as reflected in an essay.
Only two recipients are attending out-of-state schools—Vanderbilt and Syracuse—while the remainder, including Andrew Farren of St. Petersburg, remain in state.
"Receiving the HFGF scholarship means I am one step closer to achieving my dream of becoming a physician,” says Andrew, who is entering his second year at St. Petersburg College before transferring to the University of South Florida after receiving his Associate’s Degree. “I’m thankful for the support this Foundation has given me and my family throughout the years, and I hope to someday inspire others like myself to pursue their aspirations."
For a complete list of scholarship recipients and the schools they will be attending, please visit http://www.hemophiliaflorida.org/scholarships.html
2018 HFGF Calvin Dawson Memorial scholarship recipients and the college they are attending are:
- Griffin Alexander, University of Miami
- Alexia Barillas, Palm Beach State College
- Michael Berkman, Syracuse University
- Emily Champagne, University of Central Florida
- Andreina Dulanto, University of Florida
- Genesis erickson, University of North Florida
- Andrew Farren, St. Petersburg College
- Kyle Ginsburg, Florida Atlantic University
- Justin Horbacz, University of Florida
- Matthew Kramer, University of South Florida
- Alan Loutfi, Valencia College
- Jack Martin, Florida State University
- Seaira Rose, Hillsborough Community College
- Jacob Rosmarin, Florida International University
- Dalton Sapien, Stetson University
- Charlton Sebastian, University of North Florida
- James Solomon, University of Central Florida
- Cameron Williams, Chipola College
- Binyamin Wincelberg, Vanderbilt University